Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)?
- Ron Perron Mil/Gov Call Sign - Update 1 June 2018
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 7 Oct 2019
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 23 April 2019
- COTHEN HF Network – Update 23 September 2019
Thursday, September 14, 2006
China Launches Military Satellite
China has launched a military photographic recon satellite, Shi Jian 8, on September 9, 2006 at 0700 UTC.
International Designator: 2006-035A
SSC Number: 29385
Launcher: Long March 2C
Launch Site: Jiuquan/Shuang Cheng Tzu
Orbit: 445 x 177 km, 63 degree inclination
According to Jonathan McDowell, Jonathan's Space Report, "SJ-8, unlike earlier SJsatellites, is a recoverable satellite derived from earlier FSWreconnaissance and microgravity satellites. It will study the exposureof seeds to microgravity and radiation. The Xinhua news agency reportsthat the launch vehicle was a CZ-2C. Both CZ-2C and uprated CZ-2Drockets are used for the recoverable satellites. Based on orbital data, I estimate that the launch time was 0700 UTC."
At present we have no downlink frequency information on this satellite.
According to press reports, he last Shi Jian satellite, number 7 was launched 5 July 2005 by a Long March 2D into a 565 x 543 km orbit, inclined 97.6 degrees. That was a scientific mission that is scheduled for a three year mission.
The complete launch history of the Shi Jian series follows.
SJ-1 / PRC-2 / China-2 1971-03-03
SJ-2A / PRC-11 / China-11 1981-09-19
SJ-2B / PRC-9 / China-9 1981-09-19
SJ-2C / PRC-10 / China-10 1981-09-19
SJ-4 / Practice-4 1994-02-08