Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)?
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 28 Feb 2018
- COTHEN Net - Update 21 March 2018
- Ron Perron Mil/Gov Call Sign - Update September 2017
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- The Milcom MT Files - (1998-2013) Articles Index
Monday, January 18, 2010
193rd Special Operations Wing to provide disaster relief in Haiti
Editors Note: Based on the press release below, we expect to have some DoD broadcast into Haiti on AM, FM, TV or shortwave to the Haitian people from the EC-130J Commando Solo aircraft in the area. Any reports of Commando Solo transmissions would certainly be appreciated here or to our sister blog - the Shortwave Central at http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/
by Airman 1st Class Claire Behney, 193rd Special Operations Wing
HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, Pa. - In an unprecedented humanitarian mission, some 50 Airmen and three C-130 aircraft from the 193rd Special Operations Wing have departed in support of relief efforts in Haiti. The aircraft will be staged at locations outside the devastated area.
Two of the aircraft are cargo aircraft. The third, named Commando Solo, is an airborne radio and television station that will provide important information to the Haitian people.
"Our National Guard is honored to extend a helping hand to the people of Haiti. I am proud of these dedicated Airmen who are always ready to answer the call of duty, whether it is for combat missions or to aid those in need," said Maj. Gen. Jessica L. Wright, commander, Pennsylvania National Guard.
One of the aircraft departed late Thursday evening, the other two aircraft left Middletown, Pa., today.
The 193rd was called to serve in Haiti more than a decade ago. In 1994, Commando Solo was used to broadcast radio and television messages to the citizens and leaders of Haiti during Operation Uphold Democracy. This is, however, the first humanitarian mission of its type for the wing.
The duration of the mission is undetermined at this time.
Members of the 193rd recently returned home from a deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.