Showing posts with label USAF Malmstrom AFB. Show all posts
Showing posts with label USAF Malmstrom AFB. Show all posts

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Malmstrom completes Limited Nuclear Surety Inspection

by 1st Lt Korry Leverett, 341st Missile Wing Public Affairs

MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. (AFPN) -- Much progress has been made, but you can't stop here was the message from Col. Michael Fortney, 341st Missile Wing commander, at the Limited Nuclear Surety Inspection outbrief held Feb. 9.

"Our Airmen at the 341st Missile Wing performed in an exceptional manner during this re-inspection," said Colonel Fortney. "We have been working hard over the last several months, not just to prepare for an inspection, but because we need to make sure we are mission-ready every day, and that we maintain that standard of perfection. Clearly, our work doesn't end here because we passed an inspection ... this is just the beginning."

The LNSI was conducted at the 341st MW from Feb. 4 to 9 by 12 Air Force Space Command inspectors with oversight provided by representatives from the Air Force Inspection Agency and U.S. Strategic Command. The reinspection was the result of a Nuclear Surety Inspection in Oct. 2008 where deficiencies in the organization were observed.

"Nuclear Surety Inspections are extremely detailed and demand the absolute highest standards of compliance and accountability," said Col. Scott Gilson, AFSPC inspector general. "This year, we've made a tough test even more challenging by increasing intensity, depth and rigor of inspections and by directing the IG teams to focus on more consistent application of stringent nuclear standards. This is a solid first step to ensuring our nuclear enterprise remains on track."

The 341st MW received a satisfactory rating after the five-day inspection, the highest possible rating for a LNSI. There is no margin for error in operations within the nation's nuclear enterprise, according to AFSPC officials.

Colonel Fortney continued to congratulate all the Airmen on a job well done, but didn't hesitate to point out that this was just the beginning; that "we need to shift gears up a little more now, and over the next several months, we'll shift again."

"I wish I could tell that now we can get back to business as usual, but as you've heard me say many times, business will never again be 'as usual' at a nuclear wing," he said. "This is the reality of the critical mission we are in and I'm counting on you (Airmen of the 341st MW) to take us to the next level; and I have every confidence in you to do so."

An NSI is designed to evaluate a unit's readiness to execute nuclear operations and takes place at least every 18 months.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Deactivation activities begin at Malmstrom

by Valerie Mullett
341st Space Wing Public Affairs Office

MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. -- The first Minuteman III WS-133B intercontinental ballistic missile was removed from Sierra-38 launch facility near Brady, Mont., July 12 as a result of the order to begin missile deactivation activities.

This order was given by Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley June 29.

Malmstrom AFB currently operates, maintains, secures and supports two types of Minuteman III Rapid Execution and Combat Targeting (REACT) weapons systems: the REACT-A and the REACT-B systems. The 564th MS is the only squadron operating the REACT-B system in the Air Force.

Two teams of missile maintainers and handlers executed the seven-and-a-half-hour mission to complete the third phase of the missile removal. Phases one and two had been completed in earlier missions.

"During the normal maintenance cycles, the re-entry system and guidance systems, the top portions of the missile, had already been removed and were being worked on for current sustainment programs when the order to deactivate was received," said Master Sgt. Les Moore, NCO in charge of the missile handling section. "It only made sense to remove the downstage at S-38 as the first pull."

In a statement to the media July 2, Col. Sandy Finan, 341st Space Wing commander, said the deactivation would continue at a rate of about one missile per week to meet the one-year deadline for deactivation.

The decision to deactivate 50 missiles was made by the nation's defense leaders and is in accordance with the 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review, which stated, "to achieve the characteristics of the future joint force and build upon progress to date, the Department of Defense will reduce the number of deployed Minuteman III ballistic missiles from 500 to 450 beginning in FY07."

"Many of the missile components removed during deactivation will return to weapon system's flight test and operations programs, extending the entire intercontinental ballistic missile program's viable service life beyond 2018," Colonel Finan said.