House passes bill to transfer C-27J aircraft to Coast Guard; USFS would receive C-130Hs
- Requires the Coast Guard to transfer seven HC-130H aircraft to the Air Force.
- Requires the Secretary of the Air Force to spend up to $130 million to upgrade those seven aircraft to make them suitable for Forest Service use a firefighting aircraft.
- Requires the Forest Service to accept the upgraded HC-130H aircraft in lieu of exercising their right to take seven excess C-27J aircraft.
- Transfers 14 excess C-27J aircraft from DOD to the Coast Guard.
- Transfers up to 15 C-23 Sherpa aircraft from DOD to the Forest Service.
…perform center and outer wingbox replacement modifications, progressive fuselage structural inspections, and configuration modifications necessary to convert each HC-130H aircraft as large air tanker wildfire suppression aircraft.