Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Where in the world is AE0463?



Just as we all settle in to this North Korea mess, I have another Mode-S hex code mystery.

While working up my Mode-S intercepts for this blog and updating my call sign db, I noticed something a bit odd. On 6 Aug 2017 here on the radio ranch I caught Hex Code AE0463 overflying the area. When you cross that hex you will see most all have it coming back to a US Navy C-2A 162148 assigned to VRC-40 based out of Norfolk.

But the story takes an even stranger twist. AE0463 is being actively reported by mil monitors in the UK to the same serial Mode-S c/s RG01, a C-2A flying with the air wing on board the USS George H.W. Bush, currently operating in the eastern Atlantic and participating in a major Euro exercise.

That has to be one fast flying C-2A cod aircraft looking at all the intercepts.

So is 162148 (AE0463) in the eastern Atlantic or is it stateside?