Following extract taken from Russian Ministry of Defense (MOD) website. Translated by Old Crow and submitted to MT's Milcom Blog for information and interest. Date of article 2 October 2006.
A Large Landing Ship - the Yamal - of the Black Sea Fleet has left Sevastopol' for the Mediterranean. The Yamal left Sevastopol' on the 2nd October and set course for the Mediterranean. Rear Admiral Evgenij Khalajchev, Assistant to the Commander of the Black Sea Fleet has been designated as Commander for this deployment. During the deployment, the ship will carry out a number of visits to Greek ports. These include Kerkira: - in memory of events of 1799 when Russian sailors under the command of Admiral Fyodor Ushakov, liberated the island of Corfu from foreign aggressors. Additionally to mark "Russian Week in Corfu"; Patry (?), Pilos - where the ship's crew will participate in ceremonial parade on the occasion of the anniversary of the battle of Navarin, in the course of which, a united squadron beat off Turkish-Egyptian naval forces during the Greek national uprising 1821-1829; in addition, the Russian sailors will visit Piraeus, where they will pay military honours to their countrymen who are interred in the Russian memorial cemetery.
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 22 March 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 6 Oct 2022
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index