The Los Angeles-class submarine USS Columbus (SSN 762) departs Naval Station Pearl Harbor for a scheduled deployment to the western Pacific region. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Ronald Gutridge/Released)
By Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Ronald Gutridge, COMSUBPAC Public Affairs
PEARL HARBOR (NNS) -- The Los Angeles-class submarine USS Columbus (SSN 762) departed Naval Station Pearl Harbor for a scheduled deployment to the western Pacific region Nov. 24.
"The crew is very excited and eager to get underway," said Cmdr. David Minyard, USS Columbus commanding officer. "They've all worked extremely hard getting this ship and themselves ready for this deployment. I am very proud of each and every one of them."
Columbus is the 51st Los Angeles-class submarine and the 12th improved version of this class, which includes a vertical launch system for Tomahawk cruise missiles and an improved hull design for under-ice operations. She completed a post shipyard availability in June 1994 in Groton, Conn. after initial construction and shakedown operations. In September 1994, the ship conducted an interfleet transfer to Pearl Harbor and joined the U.S. Pacific Fleet Submarine Force.
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 22 March 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 6 Oct 2022
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index
Thursday, December 03, 2009
USS Columbus Departs for WestPac Deployment
Labels: Deployment, US Navy, USS Columbus SSN-762, WESTPAC