By Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Joshua Martin
SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108), an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, arrived at its new homeport in San Diego Dec. 4, where the ship will be stationed after transiting from the Bath Iron Works Shipyard in Bath, Maine.
"From Bath, Maine to here it took us about two months," said Hull Maintenance Technician 2nd Class (SW) Matthew Luke Willis. "We left Bath, Maine, on Sept. 25 and arrived here today."
During its transit, the ship stopped in Philadelphia, Rodman, Panama, and Manzanillo, Mexico.
"I am ecstatic right now!" said Kimberly Davis, wife of Gas Turbine System Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Brackshea Davis. "I missed him so much and I am so glad they are here!"
Wayne E. Meyer is the 58th destroyer in her class and is named after Rear Adm. Wayne E. Meyer.
The ship also carries the 100th Aegis combat system; an advanced command and control, weapons control system which powerful computers and radars use to track and guide weapons to destroy enemy targets.
Meyer will provide deterrence, promote peace and security, preserve freedom of the seas and humanitarian /disaster response within 3rd Fleet's 50-million square mile area of responsibility in the Eastern Pacific, as well as supporting the nation's maritime strategy when forward deployed.
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 23 May 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 24 May 2023
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index