According to Paulo T and the Hearsat newsgroup, a major bust has occured down in Brazil. For many years pirates have hijacked transponders on the various military UHF satellites for their own use. I have received hundreds of reports on these illegal operations over the last couple of decades. And now for the first time DoD has struck back to gain control of their radio assets.
Paulo T posted the following to Hearsat yesterday afternoon:
"It came to my attention that our brazilian friends on Fleetsat and UFO frequencies got a nasty surprise today, from their federal police and Brazil´s comunications authority.
"According to the news, 39 persons got busted, one was arrested and large amounts of equipement seized. All of them are licenced amateur radio operators whose operating location was determined by the U.S. Department of Defense, in cooperation with Brazilian federal police and other U.S. agencies. Besides all of these equipment seizures, the authorities have identified the manufacturers of some of the hardware used, one of them actually was arrested."
Some links, in Portuguese for now:
My thanks to Paulo and Hearsat for passing along this interesting story.
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 23 May 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 24 May 2023
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index