Kings Bay, Ga. (NNS) -- USS Alaska (SSBN 732), a fleet ballistic submarine assigned to Submarine Group 10, is scheduled to change homeports to Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga.
Alaska was previously assigned to Submarine Group 9 in Bangor, Wash., for 20 years and has been undergoing a 26 month refueling overhaul at Norfolk Naval Shipyard.
Ballistic missile submarines conduct a major overhaul near the mid-point of the submarine's service life, approximately 20 years, to re-capitalize the vessel and extend the useful life to maintain the required SSBN force level.
Alaska has completed sea trials and is scheduled to arrive at Kings Bay for the first time in April.
Cmdr. Paul Haebler is the commanding officer of Alaska's single crew. The crew will split into a Blue and Gold crew in May.
The "Kodak Tough" Alaska will increase the number of SSBNs homeported in Kings Bay to six, with USS Tennessee (SSBN 734) currently at Norfolk Naval Shipyard undergoing its refueling overhaul.
Alaska is the seventh Trident Ohio-class nuclear-powered fleet ballistic missile submarine and the fourth United States Navy ship to bear the name of the state. Alaska was commissioned January 25, 1986 and has conducted 59 strategic deterrent patrols.
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 22 March 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 6 Oct 2022
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index