I have always been interested in Russian Military Comms. Now one of the world's leading monitors in this area is Trond J has posted some fascinating information on their VLF network. Late last week Trond posted the following to the UDXF newsgroup. Thanks Trond and that was a great catch.
"Since some time back, RJH90 the 270th communication hub of the Russian Navy General Staff near the village of Druznyj, (south of Nizhniy Novgorod), has been using also the 0700 UTC (summer) / 0800 UTC (winter) slot for time/frequency reference transmissions on 25 kHz. This slot complements the 0400 UTC (summer) / 0500 UTC (winter) slot already in use by RJH90. ID is made by using a fast, 30.5 wpm morse, sent on 25.0 kHz at hh:06 in the RJH90's timeslots. More info regarding Russian VLF "timesignal" transmissions to be found on www.vlf.it (quite fun to see now, so many years after the article was published, how many that has been using copy/paste on this article without spotting the "mistake" of namegiving RJH90 as RJH99."
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 23 May 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 24 May 2023
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
RJH90 Time/Frequency Reference Transmissions in New Time Slot
Labels: frequencies, Russian Navy, VLF