Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)?
- Ron Perron Mil/Gov Call Sign - Update 1 June 2018
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Update 2 April 2020
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 23 April 2019
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 7 Oct 2019
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Bainbridge Returns Home to a Heroes' Welcome
By Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Santos Huante, Navy Public Affairs Support Element, Norfolk
NORFOLK, Va. (NNS) -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) returned home to Naval Station Norfolk, Va., Sept. 21 after a seven-month deployment supporting the Eisenhower Strike Group in the 5th and 6th Fleet area of operations.
Bainbridge's 300 Sailors patrolled the trade corridor in the Gulf of Aden combating and preventing piracy.
Bainbridge was conducting surveillance April 8, on the northern Somali coast when the American container ship MV Maresk Alabama was seized by Somali pirates and the ship's master, Capt. Richard Phillips, taken hostage.
"We just happened to be at the right place at the right time," said Cmdr. Frank Castellano, Bainbridge commanding officer.
Castellano and his crew responded, coordinating hostage negotiations and embarking special operations forces.
"[The Navy] follows the rules of engagement and when we received word that his life was in jeopardy, I gave the order," said Castellano.
The stand-off ended April 12 with the rescue of Phillips, one pirate captured, and three pirates killed.
"[The crew] was enthusiastic, relieved and there was jubilation upon receiving Capt. Phillips," said Castellano.
Bainbridge also escorted the American vessel Liberty Sun, protecting it from a pirate attack, and prevented attacks on merchant vessels in the Gulf of Aden when two suspect pirate vessels were intercepted.