WASHINGTON - The Defense Department will conduct two training exercises involving aircraft here tomorrow.
The first exercise by the North American Aerospace Defense Command and its regional component will occur between midnight and 6 a.m. EDT, followed by another exercise between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The exercises comprise a series of training flights held in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Capital Region Command Center, the Joint Air Defense Operations Center, the Continental U.S. NORAD Region, Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Coast Guard and CONR's Northeast Air Defense Sector.
Both the early morning exercise Falcon Virgo and the daytime Amalgam Arrow are designed to hone NORAD's intercept and identification operations, as well as procedural tests of the NCR Visual Warning System, officials said.
Exercise Falcon Virgo will include two Civil Air Patrol Cessna aircraft, two Air Force F-16s and a Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter. Residents may see these aircraft approaching and flying in the vicinity during the late-night and early morning hours.
Aircraft participating in Exercise Amalgam Arrow include a C-21 Lear 35, a C-172 Cessna and an Air Force F-16. Residents may also see these aircraft approaching and flying in the vicinity of the nation's capital.
Welcome to the Milcom Monitor Post sponsored by Teak Publishing (Copyright © 2006-2023 Teak Publishing). All rights are reserved. Redistribution of these pages in any format without prior permission is prohibited. Links to individual stories are permitted without permission. The comment section on this blog is closed, but you can pass along material or comments via email MilcomMP at gmail dot com. If you submit material for this blog and want to remain anonymous, indicate that in your message.
Milcom Monitoring Post Profiles
- What are Emergency Action Messages (EAM)? Updated 20 September 2021
- UFO Milsat Program
- Fleetsatcom System
- UHF 225-380 MHz Milcom Spectrum Holes: Updated 24 July 2019
- Civilian Air Cargo/Airline/Military Call Signs
- Intl HF Aero Civ/Gov/Mil Frequency List
- USN Aircraft Modex Numbers
- University of Twente Wide Band WebSDR Netherlands
- U.S. Military ALE Addresses
- DoD Air Refueling Frequencies - Update 15 Jul 2016
- COTHEN HF Network – Last Update 23 May 2023
- Monitoring the Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary Update 10 Sep 2016
- US Coast Guard Asset Guide - Update 24 May 2023
- The Spectrum Monitor e-Zine Milcom Column Index - Update 17 January 2022
- The Milcom MT Files (1998-2013) Articles Index
Tuesday, June 09, 2009
NORAD Flight Exercises Planned for Washington Area
Labels: NORAD, Washington DC area